Our Superfood, AquaSource Algae, is the basis for many of our nutritional supplements. Therefore, it is especially important to know why these seaweeds are considered one of the best nutritional supplements available on the market. There are many advantages that can be shared.
AFA Organic seaweed from AquaSource€39,78 – €86,70
The most complete and balanced natural food
Scientists have been aware for centuries that seaweed is a food source and a nutritional supplement. Various species of algae around the world have been the subject of their research.
One particularly nutritious type of algae is known as “blue-green algae”(Aphanizomenon flos-aquae or AFA).
The highest quality blue-green algae grows in Upper Klamath Lake in the Cascade Mountains of northwestern Oregon, USA. At the bottom of this ancient lake, fed by seventeen pure mountain streams and geothermal springs, is a ten-metre layer of mineral sediments, which explains why it has the most mineral-rich alkaline waters on our planet. This is where AquaSource’s algae grows. The blue-green algae found here have a remarkable nutritional profile. Nothing can compare to their nutritional qualities (see Table 1).
Preservation of nutritional value through BioActive Dehydration®
AquaSource algae is harvested and processed so that it arrives live and fresh at the drying site. Next is the drying process that is required for this Superfood to be processed and put on sale. But preserving the nutritional value of any plant food is a huge challenge, with the most important being minimising the damage from exposure to high temperature and the effects of oxygen (oxidation). The deterioration of the nutrient profile increases proportionally with the time of exposure of the algae to these two factors.
BioActive Dehydration® solves this problem by allowing drying to be carried out at a much lower temperature and in a much shorter time. As illustrated in Figure 1, during the BioActive Dehydration® process, the temperature to which the product is exposed never exceeds 41ºC and exceeds human body temperature (37ºC) in less than 2 minutes. If you compare this method with other techniques such as traditional spray drying and Window Refractance Drying, you will find that the temperature is much higher and the duration is much longer, increasing the risk of decreasing the nutritional value.
*Health claims approved by EFSA:
The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has confirmed the health benefits of AquaSource seaweed based on its documented nutrient profiles – the nutritional requirements that foods must meet to meet nutritional needs and be beneficial to health. One of the key objectives of this Regulation is to ensure that any claim on the label of any food in the EU is clearly and unequivocally scientifically substantiated.
Here are some key nutrients and benefits of AquaSource algae:
– Vitamin B12 helps increase energy and reduce feelings of fatigue; supports digestive health; supports the nervous system and normal cognitive function.
– Vitamin B5 supports metabolism; helps maintain healthy skin; supports the nervous system to help cope with the stress of modern living.
– Vitamin C helps reduce feelings of tiredness and also contributes to better cognitive function; essential for the immune system; also necessary for the formation of collagen, a major structural protein in connective tissue.
– Vitamin E helps protect cells from oxidative stress.
– Iron – important for haemoglobin formation. Contributes to better cognitive function and to reducing feelings of fatigue and tiredness.
AquaSource algae provides a significant amount of the minerals and vitamins mentioned above in a 100% natural, bioavailable form. This provides the basis for EFSA approval of AquaSource algae’s claimed high nutritional value and the gentle production method that minimises its loss.
To ensure high quality, the individual processes are constantly monitored throughout the production cycle. Periodic sampling for testing of each batch is intended to verify that the high quality of the product is maintained at all times.
Dried algae are sampled for analysis of: standard total microbial counts and coliform counts, Escherichia coli, staphylococci, Salmonella, fungi, moulds, listeria, moisture, microcystin and heavy metals (mercury, lead, arsenic, cadmium). If the results match the specifications, the seaweed is shipped to the UK where it is encapsulated, put into packaging and labelled. All of these processes comply with Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP). UK manufacturing facilities are certified by the British Retail Consortium (BRC), a global food standard operating in more than 140 countries. The facility is certified for environmentally friendly processing. Aphanizomenon flos-aquae, the Klamath Lake algae, is certified organic: a 100% environmentally friendly product in accordance with USDA Standard 7 CFR Part 205. Additionally, upon arrival at our warehouse, each batch is tested to verify that it meets various internal AquaSource quality standards.
AquaSource Algae as Superfood⁎
Our seaweed is now recognized as a Superfood⁎. This means they are an extremely nutrient-rich food source, providing a significant amount of antioxidants, polyphenols, vitamins and minerals. In addition to being extremely nutritious, superfoods can support the body’s natural recovery process and contribute to prolonging productive life.
Key qualities that make them particularly desirable:
– One of the most complete and nutritious food sources found in nature.
– The BioActive Dehydration® process preserves maximum nutritional qualities.
– They provide a wide range of nutrients including vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, proteins, amino acids, fatty acids and neuropeptides.
– Contribute to reducing the feeling of tiredness and fatigue.
– They help maintain the immune system.
– They support normal cognitive functions, which is important for memory and perception.
– They are available in capsule form (containing only the algae) and in powder or liquid form.
– AquaSource seaweed in powder form and in vegan capsules is registered with The Vegan Society in the UK.